Opening Times: Monday – Saturday 9.00am til 5.00pm
We have been trading since 2004, providing a range of hot & cold drinks, cakes, snacks, simple home cooked meals and a variety of daily specials (view our menu here).
Although we have seating for 80, we also provide our full menu for takeaway. We are also available for small private functions in the evenings and on Sundays.
The Trading Post is housed in one of the oldest building in Abergavenny.
One of the most notable items of the building is the coat of arms of the Vaughan family seen in the centre of the left hand sill – a chevron with three child’s heads with necks encircled by serpents – which not only reveals the house’s importance but helps date it.
The Vaughan family were descendents of Ynyr, Prince of Gwent and Sir Roger Vaughan was knighted by King Henry V on the battlefield of Agincourt while Henry Vaughan was one of the early headmasters of King Henry Grammar School in 1654.
Toward the end of the 16th century the house would have been a very fine merchant’s house, jet tied at the first floor level. The stone slab of the present alter of Holy Trinity was originally that of the ancient parish church of St John’s, and was discovered walled up in the chimney breast of the old ‘Cow Inn’.
The roof and the top floor go back nearly 200 years and the six cows’ heads which peer down from under the eaves are a reminder of when the building was the ‘Cow Inn’. So far, it has not been possible to establish when 14 Nevill Street was converted to the @Cow INN’, although it is thought to be before 1800 as it has a history dating back to the time when King Henry VIII decreed that the neighbouring St John’s Church should be endowed as a grammar school.
Nevill Street has been called originally Rother Street, the word Rother meaning ‘horned cattle’ after a breed of cattle bred in the Abergavenny district and it is said that Rother Street was once used as the cattle market. It is known that cattle driven from West Wales were rested for a few days in the Castle Meadows and were then taken via Rother Street market on their way to the Midlands and English markets.
Records show that the ‘Cow Inn’ was occupied by Mr William Bruce in 1822 and Mr William Rowley in 1866. In 1871 the house was occupied by clothier and general outfitter Davie Gwynne and in 1855 was home to a painting and decorating business founded by Mr Charles Price.
It seems only fitting that 14 Nevill Street is now home to the ‘Trading Post’ representing all that is traditional of the early 17th Century Coffee Houses – a place where people can meet and catch up on the news whilst enjoying a wide range of coffee and quality food.
The details on the left hand first floor window show the arms of the Vaughan family which depict a chevron with three child’s heads, the necks of which are encircled by snakes. Legend has it that they are the arms of Ynyr, Prince of Gwent, whose wife gave birth to triplets who died at birth. The tragedy was attributed to the Queen having seen a snake just before giving birth.